Wednesday, January 11, 2012

12 X 12 Scrappy Rectangles construction

Ready to start sewing these together? (For the background on this quilt-along, click here.) There are a lot of pieces, but it's actually a relaxing kind of stitching. You know - just a lot of straight lines, all the pieces are short and match easily. We just have to get everything together and then start chain-piecing. (Since we're stash-busting, this is a great time to let our minds wander off to how we're going to re-fill our storage bins with an even better stash!)

Get a couple of paper bags and toss the 6-1/2" X 3-1/2" pieces in one and the 6-1/2" X 1-1/2" in the other. Starting with a larger piece and alternating between the two sizes, sew them into 10 rows consisting of 15 large and 14 narrow pieces.

To chain-piece, start 10 rows (with the first two pieces) and then begin adding a 3rd piece to each of the 10 rows, then a fourth, etc. until each row has 15 larger rectangles and 14 skinny ones.


I tried to be random, but if I pulled out 2 that matched (or were really close to each other), I threw one back! Don't make yourself crazy trying to mix them up - you'll have another row in between each of these. Get all these rows sewn and then press the seams, taking into consideration how they'll interlock.


I pressed all of these seams toward the skinny piece - from both directions. That way I can move strips around later if I want.


Sew all these rows and then get them up on your design wall or laid out on the floor. Leave a little space in between each row (about 2") for the little rows to fit in. (Please ignore the rows I already have sewn together in this next picture.)


Now you can start adding in your final 2 size pieces. I cut all of my 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" from the same yellow, so I won't put them up on the wall. I'll just add the 1-1/2" X 3-1/2" pieces in wherever I think they need that color . . . .


. . . . until I have them all used up and where I like them.


Carefully remove the little rectangles, keeping them in order and sew them into 14 rows, alternating between the 2 remaining sizes (starting with the 3-1/2" strip, then the 1-1/2" piece, and so on).



Press the seams - I pressed all of these seams away from the small yellow squares. Now they'll interlock no matter what I do with them. I can move them up or down a row and even flip them over and the seams will still interlock!

Most everyone has something about quilting that they don't care for. This is my thing. I don't like sewing the rows together. And now we're at that part. Ugh. I need to find someone who doesn't like binding and swap with them! (Binding's my favorite!)

Can you tell I'm just stalling?  Okay - let's go start sewing those rows together.



Whew! Three rows! I think I'll take a little break and go look at how much my stash is reduced! Or. . . maybe I'll start looking for backing fabric.  :)

How's your quilt coming together? Tell me what parts you like and don't like. I need to keep reading, so I can avoid stitching those rows!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to start putting them together- since I am making a smaller one- am I still doing 15&14 across? This is all new to me, any help would be great. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the colors - this is going to look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete