Wednesday, January 4, 2012

12 X 12 - Scrappy Rectangles Next Steps

Let's get this show on the road! For anyone just joining us, click here to get the whole scoop! As you know, in our previous post, we had you get started sorting your stash into color groups. If you're still sorting fabrics, that's fine. I'm going to go ahead and get this first project started. Anyone can join us/start at any time. Here's what we're going to make with our stash scraps:


This quilt finishes at 59-1/2" X 69-1/2". It's made up of 3 different sizes of rectangles and one small square - super easy!



From your stash, you should pull all the solid/read-as-solid fabrics. By "read-as-solid" I mean the fabrics that work as a solid - they often have a small print, usually tone on tone. If you step back from them and squint your eyes, they look like a solid color fabric.


Here's what you'll need to cut:

(150) 6-1/2" X 3-1/2" rectangles
(140) 6-1/2" X 1-1/2" rectangles
(135) 3-1/2" X 1-1/2" rectangles
(126) 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" squares

You can cut any number of each of the fabrics from you stash. Here's how I did mine: Right away, I noticed that I had the saddest little stash of yellow fabrics!


So I decided that I would make all 126 of my small (1-1/2") square "cornerstones" a bright yellow to add more yellow to the quilt. You could do the same with any color or just keep it scrappy all the way. Then I counted how many different fabrics I had pulled (96). I weeded that stack down to 75 to make it really easy and then cut 2 of each fabric for the largest rectangles.

I cut the other 2 sizes of rectangles at the same time, but eliminated one every once in awhile to get my numbers to come out right. I kept track of the total cut on a piece of scrap paper:


Keep going until you get them all cut.


Ok, that's all for now. I'll post the directions for putting them together on Monday.  Bonus: You should be generating lots of scraps for our pet bed project!!

4 comments:

  1. I love how bright an cheerful the quilt looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a bad day? Curl up under this quilt and cheer right up. I love it! Love those bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It`s awesome.I love your bright scrappy beautiful rectangle quillt.

    ReplyDelete